DiCindio Law LLC | May 31, 2015 | Criminal Procedure
Entrapment – I know the word, but what does it really mean?
It is not uncommon for someone who has been arrested to believe that they were entrapped. It is a word that is generally known, but not generally understood by those who are not involved in the criminal justice system.
In order for an entrapment defense to succeed, the person being prosecuted must prove by a preponderance of evidence that his conduct occurred in response to entrapment. That begs the question . . . what is entrapment?
Under the Pennsylvania Crimes Code, entrapment is clearly defined and requires the following (Taken from Pennsylvania Criminal Code § 313):
- A public law enforcement official or a person acting in cooperation with public law enforcement.
- Acting for the purpose of obtaining evidence of the commission of an offense
- He induces or encourages another to engage in conduct constituting such an offense by either of the following:
- Making a knowingly false representation designed to induce the belief that such conduct is not prohibited
- employing methods of persuasion or inducement which create a substantial risk that such an offense will be committed by persons other than those who are ready to commit it.
There are numerous considerations that must go into the decision to argue the entrapment defense. Again, while it is generally a known word – the understanding and applicability of it should be analyzed by a criminal defense lawyer before deciding to further the defense.
Michael DiCindio is a West Chester criminal defense lawyer who represents individuals accused of crimes throughout all of Chester County, including West Chester, Phoenixville, Malvern, Coatesville, Paoli, Downingtown, Tredyffrin, West Goshen, Honey Brook, Oxford, Devon, Pottstown, Chesterbrook, Parkesburg, Kennett Square, and Avondale
Contact Our Criminal Defense Law Firm in West Chester, PA
If you are facing criminal charges and need legal help, contact the West Chester, PA criminal defense lawyers at DiCindioLaw, LLC to schedule a free initial consultation.
DiCindio Law, LLC
29 S Walnut St
West Chester, PA 19382