Were you arrested for drug trafficking in West Chester, PA? Allegations of drug crimes in Pennsylvania are extremely serious. Drug trafficking charges could result in years in prison and thousands of dollars in fines.
The West Chester drug trafficking lawyer at DiCindio Law LLC has over 20 years of experience working in the criminal justice system throughout Pennsylvania. As a former Chester County prosecutor, he thoroughly understands Pennsylvania drug trafficking laws and other drug offenses.
We are available 24/7 to discuss your case and provide legal advice regarding drug possession offenses, so don’t wait any longer. Your initial consultation is free, so call our West Chester, Pennsylvania law office at (610) 430-3535 or contact us today.
How Our West Chester Criminal Defense Lawyers Can Help You With Drug Trafficking Charges
Being charged with trafficking of controlled substances is not a minor offense. You could be charged with drug trafficking solely based on the amount of drugs the police allegedly found in your possession. You may have possession of drugs, but you never intended to sell or distribute the drugs.
All drug charges should be treated seriously. Understanding your legal rights is the first step in beating a drug trafficking charge.
When you hire DiCindio Law LLC to handle your criminal case, you can expect us to:
- Investigate the circumstances that led to your arrest and the drug charges against you
- Request copies of all evidence the state has against you to analyze the evidence
- Explain your options for fighting the drug charges and the potential outcomes of each option
- Determine if the police officers or the prosecutor violated your civil rights
- Gather evidence to support the chosen defense strategy
- Aggressively pursue all legal defenses to the drug trafficking charges
If possible, we’ll fight to have the drug charges dismissed. However, in situations where the prosecution’s evidence is overwhelming and going to trial is not in your best interest, we’ll negotiate to reduce the charges and obtain the best terms possible for a plea deal. You can always count on Mike DiCindio to discuss all of your legal options with you and help you make the decision that’s right for you.
Contact our law office to speak with our West Chester drug crimes attorney. Let’s discuss developing a comprehensive defense for your case. You do not have to fight these charges alone.
What Is Drug Trafficking in Pennsylvania?
The Pennsylvania Controlled Substances, Drugs, Device, and Cosmetic Act prohibits people from transferring illegal substances within the state. Illegal drugs include cocaine, heroin, ecstasy, methamphetamine, LSD, and other types of controlled substances, including prescription drugs.
The state must prove that you were in possession of an illegal drug with the intent to deliver, sell, or distribute the illegal substance. Even if you were not successful in transferring the illegal substances, possession and intent are sufficient to arrest you for trafficking drugs.
What Are the Penalties for Drug Trafficking in Pennsylvania?
The penalties for drug trafficking are severe, even for a first offense. For example, PWID (possession with intent to deliver) is a felony charge unless the drug is a Schedule V drug. Schedule V drugs result in misdemeanor drug trafficking charges.
The penalties you face for a conviction of drug trafficking vary greatly.
The potential sentences for drug trafficking charges in Pennsylvania include:
- First-degree felony drug trafficking charges – A fine of up to $25,000 and up to 20 years in prison
- Second-degree felony drug trafficking charges – A fine of up to $25,000 and up to 10 years in prison
- Third-degree felony drug trafficking charges – A fine of up to $15,000 and up to seven years in prison
- First-degree misdemeanor drug trafficking charges – A fine of up to $10,000 and up to five years in prison
The type of drug and the amount of the drug in your possession impact your sentence for drug trafficking.
What Are Defenses to Drug Trafficking Charges in West Chester?
There could be several defenses you might use to beat drug trafficking charges in West Chester.
Common defenses to possession with intent to distribute include:
- Lack of intent to distribute (the drugs were for personal use)
- Illegal search and seizure by law enforcement (violation of your Fourth Amendment rights)
- Lack of probable cause for a traffic stop or arrest
- Entrapment by law enforcement agents
- You had a valid prescription for the controlled substance
- The controlled substance did not belong to you, and you did not have constructive control of the drug
- The quantity of the drug did not justify a drug trafficking charge
- The substance in your possession was not an illegal drug or controlled substance
- The police officers made errors in procedure and chain of custody
It is best to seek legal advice as soon as possible. Do not talk to the police or answer questions without a lawyer present. You have the right to remain silent. Now is the time to exercise that right.
Get Help From an Experienced West Chester Drug Trafficking Lawyer
With over 20 years of experience handling criminal matters in federal and state courts, our West Chester criminal defense lawyer has the knowledge and skills necessary to defend you against drug trafficking charges. Our legal team fights to protect your constitutional rights, freedom, and reputation.
Call DiCindio Law, LLC today to schedule a consultation to discuss how we can help you.