Drug-related offenses in Pennsylvania can result in significant jail time, fines, and other criminal penalties. The best way to avoid going to jail for drug possession charges is to prepare a strong defense strategy.
Our West Chester drug possession lawyer at DiCindio Law, LLC is a former Chester County prosecutor, so he knows how prosecutors work and will use that to your advantage. He has worked in the criminal justice system throughout Pennsylvania for a decade and has the experience and skills required to advocate for you.
If you are facing drug charges in West Chester, PA, contact our criminal defense law firm or call us at (610) 430-3535 to discuss your case with an experienced drug possession attorney. Your first consultation is free.
How Our West Chester Criminal Defense Lawyer Can Help You Fight Drug Possession Charges
Drug charges can impact your future in numerous ways. A criminal record could affect your career, finances, custody matters, relationships, and freedom. The best way to protect your future is to have sound legal representation.
When you hire DiCindio Law, LLC to handle your drug possession charge, you can expect us to:
- Investigate the circumstances surrounding your arrest to determine if the police violated your civil rights
- Analyze the criminal charges against you and the applicable criminal law
- Obtain and analyze the evidence the prosecution has against you
- Handle all court hearings and notify you when you need to appear in court
- Prepare a criminal defense strategy that gives you the best chance of a positive outcome
Our West Chester drug possession defense lawyer aggressively fights to dismiss your drug charges. However, if that is impossible and going to trial is not in your best interest, our lawyer will work to reduce the drug offense to a lesser charge and negotiate a reasonable and fair plea agreement.
We understand that facing drug possession charges can be frightening. You may not know what to do after a drug arrest or understand your legal rights. Our legal team is here to help.
Call us today to schedule a free consultation with a drug possession attorney in West Chester, Pennsylvania.
Common Drug Possession Laws in Pennsylvania
Several different laws may apply in a drug possession case, including the Controlled Substances, Drugs, Device, and Cosmetic Act. Many of these laws have strict penalties, even for a first offense.
Common drug possession charges that our law firm handles include, but are not limited to:
- Possession with Intent to Deliver (PWID)
- Drug Trafficking
- Possession of a Controlled Substance
- Constructive Possession of Drugs
- Possession of Drug Paraphernalia
- Marijuana Possession and other marijuana offenses
You could face more than one drug possession charge for a single event. Depending on the facts of the case, you could face up to a $5,000 fine and one year in prison for a first offense drug possession charge. A first offense drug paraphernalia conviction carries a fine of up to $2,500 and up to one year in jail.
When Is a Police Search for Drugs Lawful?
A common defense to drug possession charges is an illegal search by law enforcement officers. Police officers must have a reason to stop you or your vehicle. In addition, they must have probable cause to search your vehicle, home, or person absent a search warrant.
You should respectfully tell the officer you do not consent to a search if the officer does not have a warrant. However, you should not resist arrest or disobey the officer’s instructions. Doing so could escalate the situation and lead to additional criminal charges.
Contact our office if you suspect that your arrest on drug possession charges was based on an illegal search. As a former prosecutor, our West Chester drug possession attorney has a thorough understanding of illegal searches.
Other Defenses to Drug Possession Charges in West Chester
There may be other defenses in your case that could result in drug charges being dismissed or reduced.
In addition to lack of probable cause, other defenses to drug possession charges include:
- The drugs did not belong to you (lack of actual possession or constructive possession)
- The drugs were planted as evidence
- You have a valid medical marijuana ID card
- The substance was not an illegal drug
- A deficient or invalid search warrant
- Lack of intent to distribute
- A physician prescribed the controlled substance in your possession
- The drug paraphernalia was not illegal, and you had no intent to use it for drugs
- Contamination of the test sample or failure to maintain the chain of evidence
The first step in fighting drug possession charges is to hire an experienced West Chester criminal defense attorney. The police and the prosecutor already believe you are guilty. You need someone on your side who will vigorously fight the drug charges.
Get Help With Drug Charges From an Experienced West Chester Drug Possession Defense Lawyer
Our West Chester criminal defense attorney has over a decade of experience in the criminal justice system. During that time, he has helped many people fight drug charges. He can do the same for you.
Call our law firm to schedule a consultation to discuss your case. You can reach us 24 hours a day, every day of the week. We are here to help you when you need trusted legal counseling.