Were you charged with a marijuana DUI in West Chester, PA? Many people associate driving under the influence with alcohol only, but you could be arrested for a DUI after taking any drugs, even if they’re legal or over-the-counter.
The founding attorney at DiCindio Law, LLC is a former Chester County prosecutor, so he knows exactly how these charges play out. Attorney Mike DiCindio now dedicates his practice to helping those who have been accused of the charges he used to prosecute day in and day out. He has more than a decade of criminal law experience and he’s ready to fight for your freedom today.
If you’re ready to get an award-winning Pennsylvania Super Lawyer (2022) fighting for your rights, call our West Chester, Pennsylvania law office today at (610) 430-3535. We offer free and confidential case evaluations, so call now.
How Can DiCindio Law, LLC Help With a Marijuana DUI Charge in West Chester?
If you’re charged with a drug crime, you need to act fast. We understand the fear and anxiety that you must feel, and we truly fight for each client as if we were fighting for our own family member. We take your future seriously and we put you first.
When you hire our DUI attorneys in West Chester, we’ll:
- Make sure you understand all of your legal options, possible consequences, and our recommended defense strategy
- Thoroughly investigate your case and collect evidence to build a strong defense
- Negotiate with the District Attorney’s office to drop or reduce charges
- Advocate for you in court if going to trial is in your best interest
We’ve helped countless people move forward with their lives after getting caught up in the justice system. We are fierce advocates for the rights of the accused, no matter what the charges. We know choosing the right lawyer is important–that’s why we offer free initial consultations. Call our West Chester, Pennsylvania law office today to learn more about our approach and how we can help.
What Is Marijuana DUI in Pennsylvania?
Driving under the influence of alcohol or controlled substances is against the law in Pennsylvania. Marijuana is a Schedule 1 drug. Even though medicinal marijuana is legal in Pennsylvania, it’s still against the law to drive while it’s in your system, even if you’re not high.
Unlike driving under the influence of alcohol, it doesn’t matter how much THC (the psychoactive compound in cannabis) is in your system. The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania has a zero-tolerance policy for marijuana DUI.
If a test detects just 1 nanogram of THC per milliliter of blood or cannabis metabolites, you could be facing marijuana DUI charges.
What Are the Penalties for Marijuana DUI in Pennsylvania?
If you’re convicted of a marijuana DUI in Pennsylvania, the penalties will depend on your criminal history, among other things. Our first goal is to get the charges tossed. If that’s not possible, we do everything we can to minimize the charges or advocate for probation or a lesser sentence.
If convicted for your first offense, you could be required to:
- Spend up to six months in prison
- Pay a fine between $1,000 and $5,000
- Attend an approved alcohol highway safety school
- Attend drug and/or alcohol treatment
- Lose your driver’s license for one year
A conviction for a second offense could mean penalties of:
- 90 days to five years in prison
- A fine between $1,500 and $10,000
- Mandatory alcohol highway safety school
- Court-ordered drug and/or alcohol treatment
- 18-month driver’s license suspension
If you’re convicted for three or more offenses, you could be facing:
- One to five years in prison
- A fine between $2,500 and $10,000
- Mandatory drug and/or alcohol treatment
- Losing your driver’s license for 18 months
If alcohol was also involved, you could also be required to use an Ignition Interlock device on your vehicle. If you refuse testing, you could automatically lose your license for 12 to 18 months.
How Can I Fight a Marijuana DUI Charge?
Just because PA has a zero-tolerance policy for cannabis when it comes to DUI doesn’t mean you should lose hope. There are always options to fight your charges, and we’ll find the best possible defense for your case.
Some possible defenses to a marijuana DUI charge include:
- Invalid laboratory reports
- Police misconduct
- Chain of custody errors when handling your toxicology results
- Lack of probable cause to make the traffic stop
We’ll fight to get illegally obtained evidence thrown out. We’ve been successful in getting charges dismissed or greatly reduced once we take away key evidence.
Get Help Fighting a Marijuana DUI Charge in West Chester
Were you arrested for a marijuana DUI in West Chester? DiCindio Law, LLC does not waste any time getting started on your case. We are here to help you every step of the way with solid, straightforward advice. Call today for a free, confidential consultation with a West Chester marijuana DUI lawyer.