Were you recently charged with a federal crime in Chester County, PA? It’s important to take immediate action to protect your future. You could be facing federal prison, significant monetary fines, and a permanent criminal record. An experienced West Chester federal crimes lawyer at DiCindio Law, LLC can help you minimize the damage.
Our legal team is led by a former Chester County prosecutor with years of experience fighting for clients in the courtroom. We’ve helped countless clients fight criminal charges across Pennsylvania in cases like drug crimes, sex crimes, federal crimes, theft crimes, sexual assault in West Chester, and more.
Table of Contents
How DiCindio Law, LLC Can Help if You Were Arrested for a Federal Crime in Chester County
Federal criminal cases are extremely serious. They require an attorney with experience handling federal cases–not only commonwealth-level charges. Hiring an experienced defense lawyer who knows the law gives you the best chance of beating the charges.
Our West Chester criminal defense lawyers have years of experience handling complex federal cases. We have experience handling both felony and misdemeanor-level jury and bench trials.
When you hire our legal team at DiCindio Law, LLC to protect your interests, you’ll have a lawyer to:
- Provide sound legal advice and guidance at all stages of the criminal process
- Launch an independent investigation to locate exculpatory evidence that could prove your innocence
- Analyze the prosecution’s case and identify any weaknesses to exploit in your favor
- Hire expert witnesses who can testify on your behalf
- Negotiate with prosecutors to have your charges downgraded or case dismissed if possible
- Help you understand the consequences of accepting a plea bargain
- Advocate on your behalf before a judge and jury if necessary
Being charged with a crime is always intimidating. When the federal government gets involved, the stakes are even higher. Don’t risk your future by doing nothing. Call an experienced Chester County criminal defense attorney to build an aggressive defense today.
Overview of Federal Crimes in Pennsylvania
Typically, people who are arrested in Pennsylvania are prosecuted under Pennsylvania’s criminal laws — even if the crime is particularly serious, like murder or rape. However, some crimes are so serious that they’re punishable at the state and federal level.
It’s important to understand the severity of a federal charge. Penalties can be much harsher if federal prosecutors convict you of a crime. Federal agencies like the FBI, DEA, SEC, and ATF have virtually unlimited financial resources to prosecute your case. You deserve an aggressive lawyer to help you fight back.
You might be charged with a federal offense if:
- Law enforcement officials claim that you crossed state lines when committing the offense
- The crime involved the U.S. postal system
- Federal agencies were responsible for investigating the offense
- Some type of online operation was involved in the offense
- The charge involved drug trafficking
- You’re accused of being part of a large criminal organization or enterprise
Don’t wait to get legal advice if you’ve been accused of committing a federal crime. Call DiCindio Law, LLC to speak with an experienced West Chester federal crimes attorney today. We’ll go to work immediately to start building the strong legal defense you need and deserve.
We handle all types of criminal cases in Chester County, including those involving:
Federal White Collar Crimes
While collar crimes are typically non-violent offenses that are committed for financial gain. Federal agencies spend a significant amount of time investigating and prosecuting white collar offenses.
You’ll likely face federal charges if you’re accused of committing:
- Wire fraud
- Money laundering
- Bank fraud
- Healthcare fraud
- Securities fraud
- Federal tax evasion
- Insurance fraud
- Racketeering or RICO violations
A conviction for white collar crimes can have serious consequences even when no violent acts are involved. After all, prosecutors like to make examples out of white collar defendants.
Pennsylvania prosecutors take drug crimes seriously. So do federal prosecutors. While most drug-related charges are statelevel offenses, they can also be prosecuted by the federal government.
The DEA will typically only pursue federal drug charges if the alleged offense involved:
- Drug trafficking, or another drug offense that involved crossing state lines or international borders
- A crime that occurred on federal property
- A crime that involved a federal agency
- Drugs sold to minors or in a school zone
- Some type of large-scale criminal organization
Most federal drug crimes are prosecuted under the Controlled Substances Act.
Federal Sex Crimes
Most sex crimes are prosecuted under Pennsylvania law. However, some crimes are so shocking that federal investigators become involved.
Examples of the types of sex crimes that may attract federal attention include:
- Sex trafficking
- Child pornography, especially creation and sale of child pornography
- Sexual abuse of children
- Child exploitation
- Internet sex crimes
If you’ve been accused of committing a federal sex crime, call an experienced defense attorney immediately. If convicted, you could be sentenced to federal prison and subjected to lifelong sex offender registration requirements.
Federal Weapons Offenses
The ATF typically investigates federal crimes involving weapons. The ATF may get involved if the offense involves:
- Use or possession of a weapon while committing a federal crime
- Trafficking in firearms
- Interstate transfers of weapons
- Possession of a firearm by a prohibited person
- Sale of firearms to prohibited individuals
Your second amendment rights aren’t unlimited. There are many situations where the federal government might get involved to prosecute weapons offenses.
What are the Penalties for Federal Crimes in Chester County, Pennsylvania?
Federal judges are required to adhere to certain sentencing guidelines when assigning punishment for a crime. Penalties for a federal conviction are typically much harsher than the punishments that apply at the state level. Often, mandatory minimum sentences and longer maximum terms will apply.
Federal crimes can be either misdemeanors or felonies. Class C misdemeanors carry up to 30 days in prison, while Class A misdemeanors can be punished by up to one year in prison.
The following prison sentences can apply if you’re convicted of a felony:
- Class A felony: up to life in prison
- Class B felony: more than 25 years in prison
- Class C felony: between 10 and 25 years in prison
- Class D felony: between five and 10 years in prison
- Class E felony: between one year and five years in federal prison
The U.S. sentencing guidelines are complex. Federal courts assign prison terms based on a point system. However, certain criminal offenses carry enhancements that could increase the overall prison sentence.
Further, you could face additional punishments, including:
- Financial penalties
- Asset forfeitures
- Supervised parole upon release from prison
- Sex offender registration requirements
Of course, you’ll also have a serious criminal record if convicted. The collateral consequences of a federal conviction are significant and could include:
- Difficulty finding employment or housing
- Loss of certain professional licenses
- Loss of your right to own a firearm
- Problems with immigration
If you’ve been accused of committing a federal crime, contact DiCindio Law, LLC for immediate assistance. Our West Chester federal crimes attorneys will conduct an independent investigation into the circumstances surrounding your arrest and form the strongest defense possible.
What Defenses Can Be Raised if I’m Accused of Committing a Federal Crime?
The stakes are high if you’ve been arrested on federal charges. However, federal prosecutors are required to prove every element of the crime beyond a reasonable doubt.
Our lawyers will explore every option that could help with your legal defense. We’ll carefully analyze the circumstances and the evidence to build the strong defense you deserve.
Depending on the facts and specific charge, your defense strategy could include:
- Challenging the strength and credibility of the government’s evidence
- Arguing that your constitutional rights were violated during investigation or interrogation
- Moving to have evidence obtained in an illegal search or seizure excluded
- Challenging witness credibility
- False allegations
- Identifying civil rights violations and evidence of police bias
- Locating exculpatory evidence that could prove your innocence, including witness statements, alibi evidence, and evidence of mistaken identity
Federal prosecutors must meet a high bar to convict. Our federal crimes defense lawyers in West Chester will do whatever we can to make their job as difficult as possible. We have a proven track record of winning “not guilty” verdicts for our clients–and we’d be proud to stand up and defend your legal rights.
It’s never too early to start building your defense. If you’ve been arrested or have recently learned that you’re under investigation, don’t hesitate to reach out for legal help today. Call our law offices in West Chester to schedule a free case review to learn more.
Schedule a Free Consultation With a West Chester Federal Crimes Lawyer
The experience of your criminal defense team can make or break your case. If you were charged with a federal crime in Chester County or Montgomery County, take action now. Call DiCindio Law, LLC to learn more about how an experienced West Chester federal crimes lawyer can help you fight the charges.